I’m A Cliche Web Designer.
No, not in the sense that my work is cliche. I mean, it may be, but that’s another blog post. I am the cliche’¹ of a web designer/digital marketer without an active website that I’m promoting as well as my client’s sites.
Here is my list of excuses:
- I didn’t like my original site and needed to rebrand it.
- I had a rush of business from clients and needed to focus on that.
- I couldn’t figure out what I really wanted to say.
- My site was more of what I think a website should look like and less about my unique voice and why working with me may be the right choice.
- There is so much to do it just feels insurmountable.
Now, these all may be true to a certain degree, but so what, tough! Nothing is ever going to be perfect. You put your best effort forward and you build on that. I misstepped and I’m calling myself on my own…stuff. OK, now that I’ve publicly flogged myself, what am I doing?
(I’ve grown to like lists, what can I say).
- Relaunching my site now, unfinished and imperfect (more about that in a moment). – Check, done.
- Writing a new blog post. – Check, done.
- Post to social media sites. – Incoming, by the time you read this, yes, Check, done.
Don’t Sweat the (SEO) Technique²
I’ll be adding onto the site more and more over the coming days, weeks, months. Oh hey, website growth is a good SEO technique. It’s also good to get traffic to it. I wish I could say I planned this but I didn’t. I have my list of excuses but now I’m going to capitalize on it.
We all make mistakes, missteps, etc. Take a moment and figure out how you can learn and capitalize on them. A wise man once sang “You’ve got to lose, to know how to win.”³
- This cliche applies to all kinds of business owners, not just web designers. Put your work out there, suck, learn, get better, grow.
- Don’t Sweat the (SEO) Technique is a reference to an old rap song “Don’t Sweat the Technique” by Eric B. and Rakim.
- Yes, there is wisdom in Aerosmith song lyrics. That’s a line from “Dream On.” It’s pretty genius when you think about it.